Kannada Literature Syllabus: Paper-1
A. History of Kannada Language
- What is Language? General characteristics of Language.
- Dravidian Family of Languages and its specific features, Antiquity of Kannada Language, Different Phases of its Development.
- Dialects of Kannada Language: Regional and Social Various aspects of the development of Kannada Language: phonological and Semantic changes. Language borrowing.
B. History of Kannada Literature
- Ancient Kannada literature: Influence and Trends. Poets for study: Specified poets from Pampa to Ratnakara Varni are to be studied in the light of contents, form, and expression: Pampa, Janna, Nagachandra.
- Medieval Kannada literature: Influence and Trends.
- Vachana literature: Basavanna, Akka Mahadevi.
- Medieval Poets: Harihara, Raghavanka, Kumar-Vyasa.
- Dasa literature : Purandra and Kanaka.
- Sangataya : Ratnakaravarni
C. Modern Kannada literature:
- Influence, trends, and ideologies, Navodaya, Pragatishila, Navya, Dalita, and Bandana.
A. Poetics and literary criticism:
- Definition and concepts of poetry: Word, Meaning, Alankara, Reeti, Rasa, Dhwani, Auchitya. Interpretations of Rasa Sutra. Modern Trends of literary criticism: Formalist, Historical, Marxist, Feminist, Post-colonial criticism.
B. Cultural History of Karnataka
- Contribution of Dynasties to the culture of Karnataka: Chalukyas of Badami and Kalyani, Rashtrakutas, Hoysalas, Vijayanagara rulers, in the literary context.
- Major religions of Karnataka and their cultural contributions. Arts of Karnataka: Sculpture, Architecture, Painting, Music, Dance-in the literary context. Unification of Karnataka and its impact on Kannada literature.
Kannada Literature Syllabus: Paper-2
- Old Kannada Literature
- Vikramaarjuna Vijaya of Pampa (cantos 12 & 13), (Mysore University Pub.)
- Vaddaraadhane (Sukumaraswamyia Kathe, Vidyutchorana Kathe)
- Medieval Kannada Literature :
- Vachana Kammata, Ed: K. Marulasiddappa K.R. Nagaraj (Bangalore University Pub.)
- Janapriya Kanakasamputa, Ed. D. Javare Gowda (Kannada and Culture Directorate, Bangalore)
- Nambiyannana Ragale, Ed., T.N. Sreekantaiah (Ta.Vem. Smaraka Grantha Male, Mysore)
- Kumaravyasa Bharata : Karna Parva (Mysore University)
- Bharatesha Vaibhava Sangraha Ed. Ta. Su. Shama Rao (Mysore University)
- Modern Kannada Literature
- Poetry : Hosagannada Kavite, Ed : G.H. Nayak (Kannada Saahitya Parishattu, Bangalore)
- Novel : Bettada Jeeva-Shivarama Karanta Madhavi-Arupama Niranjana Odalaala-Devanuru Mahadeva
- Short Story : Kannada Sanna Kathegalu, Ed. G.H. Nayak (Sahitya Academy, New Delhi).
- Drama : Shudra Tapaswi-Kuvempu. Tughlak-Girish Karnad.
- Vichara Saahitya : Devaru-A.N. Moorty Rao (Pub : D.V.K. Moorty, Mysore.)
- Folk Literature
- Janapada Swaroopa-Dr. H.M. Nayak. (Ta. Vem. Smaraka Grantha Male, Mysore.)
- Janapada Geetaanjali-Ed.D. Javare Gowda. (Pub : Sahitya Academy, New Delhi.)
- Kannada Janapada Kathegalu-Ed. J.S. Paramashivaiah, (Mysore University.)
- Beedi Makkalu Beledo. Ed. Kalegowda Nagavara (Pub : Bangalore University.)
- Savirada Ogatugalu-Ed : S.G. Imrapura.