Sanskrit Literature Syllabus: paper-1
- Significant features of the grammar, with particular stress on Sanjna, Sandhi, Karaka, Samasa, Kartari and Karmani vacyas (voice usages) (to be answered in Sanskrit).
- Main characteristics of Vedic Sanskrit language.
- Prominent features of classical Sanskrit language.
- Contribution of Sanskrit to linguistic studies.
- General Knowledge of:-
- Literary history of Sanskit,
- Principal trends of literary criticism
- The origin and development of literary geners of: Mahakavya Rupaka (drama) Katha Akhyayika Campu Khandakavya Muktaka Kavya.
- Essentials of Indian Culture with stress on
- Arts and fine arts
- Technical sciences
- Trends of Indian Philosophy
- Short Essay in Sanskrit
- Unseen passage with the questions, to be answered in Sanskrit.
Sanskrit Literature Syllabus: Paper-2
General study of the following groups:-
- Dasakumaracaritam -Dandin
- Sivarajyodayam-S.B. Varnekar
- Sundarakanda of Valmiki’s Ramayana
- Arthasastra of Kautilya
- Svapnavasavadattam- Bhasa
- Abhijnanasakuntalam- Kalidasa
- Uttararamacaritam- Bhavabhuti
- Venisamharam- Bhattanarayana
Short notes in Sanskrit on the following:-
Questions from Groups 1 & 2 are to be answered in Sanskrit only. (Questions from Groups 3 & 4 are to be answered in Sanskrit or in the medium opted by the candidate).
This Section will require first hand reading of the following selected texts :
- Raghuvansam-Canto I, Verses 1 to 10
- Kumarasambhavam-Canto I, Verses 1 to 10
- Kiratarjuniyam-Canto I, Verses 1 to 10
- Isavasyopanisad-verses-1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 15 and 18
- Bhagavatgita II chapter verses 13 to 25
- Sundarakandam of Valmiki Canto 15, Verses 15 to 30 (Geeta Press Edition)
- Meghadutam-verses 1 to 10
- Nitisatakam-Verses 1 to 10 (Edited by D.D. Kosambi Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Publication)
- Kadambari-Sukanaso-padesa (only)
- Svapnavasavadattam Act VI
- Abhijnansakuntalam Act IV verses 15 to 30 (M.R. Kale Edition)
- Uttararamacharitam Act 1 verses 31 to 47 (M.R. Kale Edition)