In this article, You will read the (Ultimate List of) Important Islands of the World – for UPSC IAS.
- An island or isle is any piece of subcontinental land that is surrounded by water.
- Very small islands such as emergent land features on atolls can be called islets, skerries, cays or keys.
- An island in a river or a lake island may be called an eyot or ait, and a small island off the coast may be called a holm.
- Sedimentary islands in the Ganges delta are called chars.
- A grouping of geographically or geologically related islands, such as the Philippines, is referred to as an archipelago.
List of the Major Islands of the World
Sumatra & Java
Sri Lanka (Ceylon)
Tierra del Fuego
Disputed islands in south china sea
The Paracel Islands are claimed by China, Taiwan and Vietnam.
The Spratly Islands are claimed by China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Brunei and Philippines.
The Scarborough Shoal is claimed by Philippines, China and Taiwan.
Disputed islands in east china sea
Senkaku Islands or Diaoyu Islands
- Japan and China claim the uninhabited islands, known as the Senkaku in Japan and Tiaoyu in China, as their own, but Japan has administered them since 1972.
- The Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands were formally claimed by Japan in 1895. After Japan’s defeat in World War II, the island chain was controlled by the US until 1971 before its return. Since then, Japan has administered the island chains.
- China began to reassert claims over the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands in the 1970s, citing historic rights to the area. However, Japan does not recognize Chinese claims.
- More recently, there has been a flare-up in the region. The Japanese government had protested to China regarding a set of names recently assigned by Beijing to seabed zones in the East China Sea, including the Senkaku/Diaoyu islands.