In this article, You will read the List of Major Hydroelectric Power Plants in India – for UPSC.
Hydroelectric Power Plants in India
India is 5th globally for installed hydroelectric power capacity. As of 31 March 2020, India’s installed utility-scale hydroelectric capacity was 46,000 MW or 12.3% of its total utility power generation capacity. Additional smaller hydroelectric power units with a total capacity of 4,683 MW (1.3% of its total utility power generation capacity) have been installed.
The end of the 19th century saw the development of power in India. In 1897, electricity was commissioned in Darjeeling and in 1902, a Hydro Power station at Sivasamudram in Karnataka was commissioned.
- The Koyna Hydroelectric Project is the largest completed hydroelectric power plant in India. It has a power capacity of 1960 MW.
- The first hydroelectric power station was the Shivanasamudra hydroelectric power station.
- Tehri Hydro Electric Power plant is the highest hydroelectric power project in the country, also Tehri Dam is the tallest one in India. Now, NTPC has taken over the project (Since 2019).
- Srisailam Hydro Power Plant is the third largest working project in India.
- Nathpa Jhakri Hydroelectric Power Plant is the biggest underground hydroelectric power project in the country.
- Sardar Sarovar Dam is the world’s second-largest concrete dam.
List of Hydroelectric Power Plants in India
|States||River||Hydroelectric Power Plant|
|Andhra Pradesh||Krishna||Nagarjunasagar Hydro Electric Power plant|
|Andhra Pradesh||Krishna||Srisailam Hydro Electric Power plant|
|Andhra Pradesh, Orissa||Machkund||Machkund Hydro Electric Power plant|
|Gujarat||Narmada||Sardar Sarovar Hydro Electric Power plant|
|Himachal Pradesh||Baira||Baira-Siul Hydroelectric Power plant|
|Himachal Pradesh||Sutlej||Bhakra Nangal Hydroelectric Power plant|
|Himachal Pradesh||Beas||Dehar Hydroelectric Power plant|
|Himachal Pradesh||Sutlej||Nathpa Jhakri Hydroelectric Power plant|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Chenab||Salal Hydro Electric Power plant|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Jhelum||Uri Hydro Electric Power plant|
|Jharkhand||Subarnarekha||Subarnarekha Hydroelectric Power plant|
|Karnataka||Kalinadi||Kalinadi Hydro Electric Power plant|
|Karnataka||Sharavathi||Sharavathi Hydroelectric Power plant|
|Karnataka||Kaveri||Shivanasamudra Hydroelectric Power plant|
|Kerala||Periyar||Idukki Hydro Electric Power plant|
|Madhya Pradesh||Sone||Bansagar Hydroelectric Power plant|
|Madhya Pradesh||Narmada||Indira Sagar Hydro Electric Power plant|
|Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh||Rihand||Rihand Hydroelectric Power plant|
|Maharashtra||Koyna||Koyna Hydroelectric Power plant|
|Manipur||Leimtak||Loktak Hydro Electric Power plant|
|Odisha||Sileru||Balimela Hydro Electric Power plant|
|Odisha||Mahanadi||Hirakud Hydro Electric Power plant|
|Sikkim||Rangit||Rangit Hydroelectric Power plant|
|Sikkim||Teesta||Teesta Hydro Electric Power plant|
|Uttarakhand||Bhagirathi||Tehri Hydro Electric Power plant|
|Himachal Pradesh||Baspa||Baspa-II Hydro Electric Power plant|
|Himachal Pradesh||Satluj||Nathpa Jhakri Hydro Electric Power Plant|
|Himachal Pradesh||Beas||Pandoh Dam|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Chenab||Dulhasti|