In this article, You will know the Best Geography Optional Books for UPSC recommended by Toppers (such as Saumya Pandey, Pratham Kaushik, Junaid Ahmed, and Ira Singhal).
Geography Optional is the most popular and opted optional subject in the UPSC Mains exam. Geography Optional assumes great significance in both Prelims and Mains examination of the UPSC IAS Exam. If the approach to the subject is right, this is the most scoring optional that also helps in general studies paper. Many candidates have cracked the UPSC Mains examination by opting Geography as their Optional Subject.
Geography Optional Books (Basic booklist)
Here, I have divided the complete Geography Optional Booklist into two-part i.e. for Paper 1 and Paper 2. In Geography Optional, Before reading the standard reference books, You have to read some basic books for your strong foundation, So first of all Let’s see the Basic Booklist of Geography Optional for UPSC.
Geography Optional Booklist (Reference Books)
After reading the basic books, You have to read the Standard Reference Books of Geography Optional.
Geography Optional Books for Paper 1(Physical Geography)
- Physical Geography by Savindra Singh
- Geomorphology by Savindra Singh
- Oceanography by Savindra Singh
- Climatology by Savindra Singh or Climatology by D S Lal [ Any One book]
- Environment Geography by Savindra Singh
- Biogeography – refer Rupa Made Simple
Geography Optional Books for Paper 1(Human Geography)
- Geographical thought by Majid Husain [Chapter 7,8,9,10,12]
- Geographical thought by R. D. Dixit [Chapter 1-8, Chapter 11]
- Geographical thought by Sudipta Adhikary [Chapter 11, Chapter 13-16]
- Human Geography by Majid Hussain
- Models and theories by Majid Hussain
Geography Optional Books for Paper 2(Indian Geography)
- India a comprehensive geography – D.R. khullar
- Oxford Student Atlas latest edition (Recommended) /or Orient BlackSwan School Atlas
- India Year Book (latest edition)
- Indian Through Maps by Prem Patel or/ Ashish Bharti
- Economic Survey (for data and statistics)
- Yojana magazine
- Down to earth magazine
- Kurukshetra magazine