In this article, You will read the List of Important Mountain Peaks in India – for UPSC IAS.
Highest Mountain Peaks in India
|K2||8611 metres||The highest peak in the Indian subcontinent lies between Baltistan and Xinjiang. |
It is the highest peak in the Karakoram
|Kangchenjunga||8586 metres||The third highest summit in the World. |
Also known as the ‘five treasures of snow.
Lies in Himalayan Mountain Range
|Nanda Devi||7816 metres||Ranked the 23rd highest peak across the world.|
The Nanda Devi National Prak, located in the vicinity to the peak, consists of the best high-altitude flora and fauna.
This is the highest peak located entirely within India.
It is a part of Himalayan mountain ranges (Garhwal)
|Kamet||7756 metres||It is located near the Tibetan Plateau.|
It is located in the Garhwal region
|Saltoro Kangri||7742 metres||It is located near the Siachen Region.|
The Saltoro Kangri is ranked the 31st highest independent peak in the world.
It lies in the Saltoro range (a part of the Karakoram Mountain range)
|Saser Kangri||7672 metres||Located in Ladakh. |
This mountain peak is the 35th highest mountain peak in the world.
It lies in the Saser Muztagh range (an easternmost subrange of Karakoram Range.)
|Mamostong Kangri/Mamostang Kangri||7516 metres||It is located near Siachen Glacier.|
It is the 48th independent peak in India.
It is the highest peak of the Rimo Muztagh range (a subrange of the Karakoram range)
|Rimo I||7385 metres||The Rimo I is a part of Rimo Muztagh, a subrange of Great Karakoram range.|
It is the 71st highest peak in the world.
|Hardeol||7151 metres||This peak is also known as the ‘Temple of God’.|
It is one of the oldest summits in the Kumaon Himalaya
|Chaukhamba I||7138 metres||It is located in the Garhwal district of Uttrakhand.|
It is a part of the Gangotri Group of Garhwal Himalaya ranges
|Trisul I||7120 metres||The name of this mountain peak is taken from the weapon of Lord Shiva.|
It is one of three mountain peaks located in the Kumaon Himalaya in Uttrakhand.
State-wise Highest Mountain Peaks in India
|Arma Konda||Eastern Ghats||Andhra Pradesh||1680 m|
|Kangto||Eastern Himalaya||Arunachal Pradesh||7060 m|
|Someshwar Fort||West Champaran District||Bihar||880 m|
|Bailadila Range||Dantewada District||Chhattisgarh||1276 m|
|Sonsogor||Western Ghats||Goa||1166 m|
|Girnar||Junagadh District||Gujarat||1069 m|
|Karoh Peak||Morni Hills||Haryana||1467 m|
|Reo Purgyil||Western Himalaya||Himachal Pradesh||6816 m|
|Parasnath||Parasnath Hills||Jharkhand||1370 m|
|Mullayanagiri||Western Ghats||Karnataka||1930 m|
|Anamudi||Western Ghats||Kerala||2695 m|
|Dhupgarh||Satpura||Madhya Pradesh||1350 m|
|Kalsubai||Western Ghats||Maharashtra||1646 m|
|Mount Iso||Senapati District||Border of Manipur and Nagaland||2994 m|
|Shillong Peak||Khasi Hills||Meghalaya||1965 m|
|Phawngpui||Saiha District||Mizoram||2157 m|
|Mount Saramati||Naga Hills||Nagaland||3826 m|
|Deomali||Eastern Ghats||Odisha||1672 m|
|Guru Shikhar||Aravalli Range||Rajasthan||1722 m|
|Kanchenjunga||Eastern Himalaya||Sikkim||8586 m|
|Doddabetta||Nilgiri Hills||Tamil Nadu||2637 m|
|Doli Gutta||Deccan Plateau||Border of Telangana and Chhattisgarh||965 m|
|Betalongchhip||Jampui Hills||Tripura||930 m|
|Amsot Peak||Shivalik Hills||Uttar Pradesh||945 m|
|Nanda Devi||Garhwal Himalaya||Uttarakhand||7816 m|
|Sandakphu||Eastern Himalaya||West Bengal||3636 m|
Important Mountain Peaks
- Ninth highest peak of the world located in the PoK, just near the Indus Gorge (8126m)
- Forms western terminus of the Himalayas
- First climbed by Austrian climber Hermann Buhl on 3 July 1953
Godwin Austin (K2):
- 2nd highest peak of the world located in the central part of the Karakoram Range
- Known as the Savage Mountain due to the difficulty of ascent, second highest fatality rate after the Annapurna
- Never been climbed in the winter
- Second highest peak of Uttarakhand located north of the Gangotri Glacier, near the border with Tibet.
- Lies in the Chamoli district.
- A peak of the Great Himalayas near the Mana Pass
- Highest peak of Uttarakhand between the Milam Glacier and the Pindar Glacier
- Part of the Nanda Devi National Park
- Second highest peak of India (excluding PoK )
- Lies in the Gangotri region of Garhwal Himalayas (Uttarakhand).
- It is located in the Gangotri National Park.
- The River Alaknanda originates in this peak.
- Situated in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand.
- It is one among the peaks which surround the Nanda Devi peak.
- It lies in India-China border (Arunachal Pradesh).
- It is also known as Kanggardo Rize.
- Located on the Eastern Himalayas along the borders of the Autonomous region of China, Tibet and India.
- It is the source of the Pachuk river which is a tributary of the River Kameng.
- Highest peak of the Aravallis and Rajasthan.
- Located at a distance of 15km from Mount Abu.
- Home to the temple of Dattatreya, an incarnation of the Lord Vishnu.
- Adjacent to the temple is the Mt. Abu Observatory
- Highest peak of the Satpura Range located in the Mahadeo Hills near Pachmarhi (1350m.)
- Rock structure is basaltic with abundance of slate, schist and granite deposits
- An important tourist spot
- Located in the southeastern part of the Garhjat Hills, is the highest peak of the hills
- Located between the Brahmani and Baitarni rivers
- Rich in metallic minerals
- Peak of the Eastern Ghats located near Behrampur in the district of Gajapati, Orissa
- Highest peak of Orissa located near the border with Andhra Pradesh
- Highest peak of the Nilgiri Hills in the Nilgiri district of Tamil Nadu
- 35km north of Otty
- A popular tourist attraction with road access up to the summit
- There is an observatory at the top with two telescopes
- Shola forests over its slopes
- Located in the state of Kerala, it is the highest peak of the Western Ghats as well as of the South India, also highest outside the Himalayas in India
- It literally means ‘Elephant Forehead’
- Located at the junction of the Palni Cardamom and Annamalai hills, in the southern part of the Eravikulam National Park
- Highest peak of the Sahyadris in Maharashtra
- To reach the summit there are various trekking routes and animal tracks
- At the summit a small temple of Kalsubai is located
- Largest hill station in the Sahyadri Range of Maharashtra
- Located in the Satara district,with the height of 1438m.
- Due to its high altitude it has cool climate
- Eastern anchor of the Himalayas located in Tibet near the Indian border where the Brahmputra bends
- Easternmost mountain in the world over 7600m. high
- With the height of 3826m. it is the highest peak of the Purvanchal Hills located in the Naga Hills, near the border with Myanmar
- Snow covered during the winter
- A popular trekking destination
- Also known as Phawngpui is the highest peak of Mizoram (2156m.) near the Myanmar border
- With spectacular trees and flowers of all colours it presents a fairytale view of the blue hazed hills
- The area is encircled by matted bamboo groves and other alluring vegetations
- A twin peaks with a distinct saddle between them, is the highest peak of Andaman and Nicobar
- Located in the North Andaman Island
- It is 732m. high
- Part of the Saddle Peak National Park
- Highest peak of the Rajmahal Hills, located in the northeast Jharkhand
- An important Jain temple devoted to Parasnath
- Archaean rock deposits of iron and manganese are found in this region
- It is located at the border of Tamil nadu and kerala.
- The Thavirabarni River originates from the eastern side of the hill.
- The hill is part of the Neyyar wildlife sanctuary.
- Surrounding region has been declared the Agasthyamalai Biosphere Reserve.
- It is located at the Line of control.
- Its elevation is 7,742m above the sea level.
- In 1984 India assumed military control on the peak.
- Located in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand.
- Abi Gamin is separated from Kamet by a high saddle known as Maede’s col.
- The famous Mana pass and Niti pass are located here.