Consider the following statements:
- The Climate Group is an international non-profit organisation that drives climate action by building large networks and runs them.
- The International Energy Agency in partnership with the Climate Group launched a global initiative “EP100”.
- EP100 brings together leading companies committed to driving innovation in energy efficiency and increasing competitiveness while delivering on emission reduction goals.
- Some Indian companies are members of EP100.
- The International Energy Agency is the Secretariat to the “Under2 Coalition”.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
1,2, 4 and 5
1,3 and 4 only
2,3 and 5 only
1,2, 3, 4 and 5
(b) 1, 3 and 4 only
- The Climate Group is a non-profit organisation that works with businesses and government leaders around the world to address climate change.
- The Group has programmes focusing on renewable energy and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Launched in 2004, the organisation operates globally with offices in the UK (headquarters), the United States and India.
- It acts as the secretariat for the Under2 Coalition (an alliance of state and regional governments around the world that are committed to reducing their greenhouse gas emissions to net-zero levels by 2050.)
- As of 2022, the Under2 Coalition brings together over 270 governments representing 1.75 billion people and 50% of the world economy.
- The organisation’s business initiatives “RE100”, “EP100” and “EV100”, which are run as part of the We Mean Business coalition, aim to grow corporate demand for renewable energy, energy productivity and electric transport, accelerating the transition to a zero-emissions economy, while helping leading businesses to reduce carbon emissions, be more resilient and increase profits.
- The Climate Group hosts international summits and events, including Climate Week NYC in New York City, a week-long global forum promoting global climate action, and the India Energy Access Summit in New Delhi.
- The Under2 Coalition is a coalition of subnational governments that aims to achieve greenhouse gases emissions mitigation.
- It started as a memorandum of understanding, which was signed by twelve founding jurisdictions on May 19, 2015 in Sacramento, California.
- Although it was originally called the Under2 MOU, it became known as the Under2 Coalition in 2017.
- As of October 2022, the list of signatories had grown to 270 governments which represented over 1.75 billion people and 50% of the world economy.
- The Under2 MOU was conceived through a partnership between the governments of California and Baden-Wurttemberg, with The Climate Group acting as secretariat.
- The intent of the memorandum signatories is for each to achieve Greenhouse gas “emission reductions consistent with a trajectory of 80 to 95 percent below 1990 levels by 2050 and/or achieving a per capita annual emission goal of less than 2 metric tons by 2050.
International Energy Agency
- International Energy Agency (IEA) was established during the oil crisis of 1973-1974.
- The IEA was set up under the framework of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) in the aftermath of the 1973 oil crisis to respond to physical disruptions in global oil supplies, provide data and statistics about the global oil market and energy sector, promote energy savings and conservation, and establish international technical collaboration on innovation and research.
- It is an intergovernmental autonomous organisation based in Paris.
- IEA has a major role to play in providing information related to the international oil market and taking action against any physical disruptions in the supply of oil.
- IEA also acts as a policy adviser for its 31 member countries as well as for the non-member countries, especially China, India, and Russia.