Skip to content
National Parks in Sikkim
Khangchendzonga National Park, Biosphere Reserve
- It is located in Sikkim is one of the highest ecosystems in the world, reaching elevations of 1, 220 metres above sea-level.
- The park gets its name from the mountain Kangchenjunga, the third-highest peak in the world. Numerous lakes and glaciers, including the 26 km long Zemu Glacier are a part of the Biosphere reserve.
- It is a Biosphere Reserve and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is the first “Mixed Heritage” site of India. It is also included in the UNESCO Man and the Biosphere Programme.
- The Tholung Monastery, one of the most sacred monasteries of Sikkim is situated inside the Khangchendzonga National Park.
- The Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve is bounded by the Teesta River to the east.
- Vegetation: Temperate broadleaf and mixed forests.
- Major Fauna: Musk deer, snow leopard, Himalayan tahr, Himalayan black bear, red panda, Tibetan wild ass, Himalayan blue sheep, serow, goral, takin.
Wildlife Sanctuaries in Sikkim
Barsey Rhododendron Wildlife Sanctuary
- The Barsey Rhododendron Sanctuary is situated in the southwestern part of the West Sikkim district in the Indian state of Sikkim.
- It is located in the Singalila Range and is contiguous with Singlalila National Park of West Bengal.
- It borders Nepal to the west and West Bengal to the south.
Fambong Lho Wildlife Sanctuary
- Fambong Lho Wildlife Sanctuary is located in the East Sikkim district of Sikkim, near Gangtok.
- It is contiguous with the Khangchendzonga National Park.
- It is situated in close proximity to the Rani Khola river.
Kitam Bird Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kitam Bird Sanctuary is situated in South Sikkim district of Sikkim, close to the Sikkim-West Bengal border, near Darjeeling.
Pangolakha Wildlife Sanctuary
- Pangolakha Wildlife Sanctuary is located in the Pakyong District of Sikkim.
- The sanctuary is nestled within the Pangolakha Range, which forms its eastern boundary and separates Sikkim from Bhutan.
- It is linked to the Neora Valley National Park (West Bengal).
Kyongnosla Alpine Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kyongnosla Alpine Sanctuary is a nature reserve in Gangtok district, Sikkim.
- It is part of the Sacred Himalayan Landscape.
- The Tsomgo Lake, also known as Changu Lake, is a prominent attraction within the sanctuary.
Maenam Wildlife Sanctuary
- Maenam Wildlife Sanctuary is located in Ravangla, near Namchi City in the Namchi district of Sikkim.
- The literal meaning of maenam-la is “treasure-house of medicines“, and the flora of the sanctuary is rich in a number of plants of medicinal value.
- It is situated on the Maenam-Tendong ridge, which runs north-south and bisects Sikkim longitudinally.
Shingba Rhododendron Wildlife Sanctuary
- Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary is located in the Yumthang Valley of North Sikkim. It is bounded by the Chuba-Sagochen mountain ranges to the east and extends to the Lava Pass on the west.
- Yumthang Chhu river meanders through the sanctuary’s enchanting landscape.